05 January 2009

The Corrections

The Corrections The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I want to give it a 3 star, but I can't because it is much better than that, and the book knows it. But I can't give it 5, either, because it annoyed me so much the whole time I read it. Sort of like when I nearly failed my driver's test at age 16 and my instructor said, "I don't want to pass you, but I will." You have to admit the book is clever, well written, and extremely self-possessing (if you like that in a book), but there were a number of times I wanted to hit myself over the head with it from sheer exhaustion. In one book, every intellectual anecdote, clever turn of a phrase, and insightful analysis of nearly everything one might encounter in 21st century Western society was held together with impressible force. It is good. Really good. But I didn't like it. I laughed, but didn't think it was funny. As one other reviewer commented, You must read it. You'll just be irritated with it the entire time.






View all my reviews.
blog comments powered by Disqus